Theme: The Church as it Was > Is > Could Be
Dates: October 9 – 11 (Monday – Wednesday, with optional Sunday arrival)
Location: Blowing Rock Conference Center
Biography of presenter:
Originally from South Africa, the Rev. Phiwa [pronounced PEE-wah] Langeni (D.Min.) is passionate about helping people understand that “different” doesn’t have to be dangerous. They are particularly effective in working with those whose identities align with the mainstream by helping people reframe society’s tendencies to lean into fear as the default. After spending a decade in St. Louis, Phiwa fine- tuned how they embody the intersections of their identities. It also continues to transform how they invite others into the liminal space between what has been and what is yet to be. Having been an outsider for the bulk of their life, Phiwa is quite skilled at detecting and decreasing various societal gaps, especially with/for those with multiple minoritized identities. The Rev. Langeni (D.Min.) currently works at the Center for Analytics, Research & Development, and Data (CARDD) office as the UCC’s first Ambassador for Innovation & Engagement. Beyond ministry, Phiwa is the owner of a few small businesses. They are also the solo parent of an adult daughter who challenges them in brilliance and beauty. In their free time, Phiwa enjoys reading, upcycling, 90s R&B, dad jokes, and creating all manner of things. Like vibranium in fictional Wakanda, creativity is inextricably woven into Phiwa’s existence, strength, and wisdom.
Register now by contacting Jared Greer, Reservations Manager at Blowing Rock Conference Center @ firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling him at (828) 295-7813.
Total cost for an individual — Monday – Wednesday — is $168.05
Total cost for an individual — Sunday – Wednesday — is $198.05
Options are available for adding a day before or after event. Indicate to the registrar if you are interested in a shared meal on Sunday evening.
- Lodging is $70 / room for the first night and $30 for each additional night
- Cost of Meals… Monday dinner-Wednesday breakfast is $59.05 per person
- Conference Facility Fee/$9.00
When registering, communicate with Jared Greer about the following:
- Day of arrival and approximate time of arrival for 1 or 2
- Are you arriving on Sunday and interested in an evening meal at the Conference Center?
- If you are leaving before Wednesday please let BRCC
- Do you require a ground floor room or do you have a room preference?
- Do you have any dietary requirements? Please discuss with Jared Greer who will put you in touch with Linda Smith, Food Service
Directions to Blowing Rock Conference Center
LOCAL DIRECTIONS (Once you have reached Blowing Rock)
Blowing Rock Conference Center is located in the town of Blowing Rock. At the stoplight at the corner of NC Highway 321 Bypass and Possum Hollow Road.
(Tanger Outlet Mall is located at this corner), turn on to Possum Hollow Road. When you have turned onto Possum Hollow Road:
- Follow Possum Hollow 0.7 miles to a stop sign
- Turn LEFT onto Sunset Drive. Continue 0.2 miles to the stop
- Turn LEFT onto Goforth Road and continue for approximately .6 miles; you will see the entrance to BRCC just ahead on your right. ➢ Turn RIGHT and follow the road to the main parking lot.
Prior reading is not required.
Altar formation: June Grubb
Retreat Pianist: Carol Fonville
Coordinator for Retreat: Rev. Joyce Myers-Brown