by Michael Malcom, SECUCC Environmental Justice Representative
The Southeast Conference of the United Church of Christ and The People’s Justice Council are nominating up to three Authorized UCC Ministers per state to attend the Southeast Faith Leaders Network climate justice training Sunday-Tuesday October 27-29 at Christmount Retreat Center located near Asheville, NC. This training is a pre-event for a larger Southeast Faith Leaders Network event in 2020. Please turn in this application by September 6, 2019. Participants will be notified of their selection the week of September 9. We are especially interested in faith leaders working for environmental justice.
Participants in this training can expect the following outcomes:
- Get oriented to faith-based resources for your climate justice ministry
- Learn best practices for climate justice organizing, including the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing
- Develop strategic relationships with fellow Southeastern faith leaders who are embracing a call to a vocation in climate justice ministry
- Be able to articulate ways fossil fuels and fossil fuel infrastructure pose a threat to your local community
- Gain and practice new skills for engaging with the media
- Access new climate justice leadership opportunities
The Southeast Faith Leaders Network will invest in taking your climate justice leadership to the next level. We ask you to invest three days of your time and a registration fee of $50. Aside from the registration fee, all expenses are paid. If you are ready to apply, click here to do so: https://forms.gle/LoWAXJL3afBms7cs6.