by Rev. Dr. Brice Thomas, Lead Pastor
Over the five Sundays in October during our Worship Series, “THE JOURNEY HOME” we asked the congregation of Holy Trinity Community Church to bring in the following items for our “Love Baggies” ministry. These items were packaged for distribution to the homeless around the city. Our youth and children assembled these gifts throughout the month.
- Snack size packs of food (i.e., applesauce, raisins, peanut butter, crackers, nuts, cookies, trail mix, fruit cups, etc.)
- Travel size personal care items (i.e., tooth brush/ tooth paste, deodorant, razors, tissues, flushable wet wipes, shampoo, soap, shaving cream, dental floss, hand sanitizer, etc.)
- Plastic silverware (individually wrapped with napkin included)
- Large gallon zip lock baggies
- New or used clean mittens, hand warmers, hats, scarves and socks for the winter
- A list of social agencies in the city that provide housing and services to the homeless population
We collected these items at the Welcome Desk at church and our youth and children dedicated them on the first Sunday in November. We encouraged each family in the church to take a baggie and keep it in their car. When they saw a homeless person on the street or on a highway exit to provide them as an act of kindness and care, as Jesus said, “When you do it to the least of these, you do it to me!” It was a wonderful example of nurturing youth leadership in our church, as they have taken this on as their own ministry!