In the South Georgia town of Thomasville at Evergreen UCC, Dr. Myrtle and Rev. Dr. Artis Johnson, decided that their children K thru 12 needed to improve their Reading and Math Skills based on their report cards. So they started a project called Evergreen U.C.C. Parents United for Children Chromebook Tutorial. The church applied and was granted $5,000.00 from the Southeast Conference Transforming Churches – Transforming Lives Capital Campaign in January 2017.
Chromebook computers, software & other tech equipment were purchased with the Grant Monies. The Johnsons plus mentors, tutors, parents and teachers volunteered tutorial assistance. Here are some of the student’s work that was completed:
- Homework assignments on-line including Study Island, Read Works and other school-based technology
- Algebra 2 practice assignments using Chromebook,
- ACT/SAT practice using Chromebook
- Big Brain for Little People, a software program for Pre k thru 3rd grade
- Church School Leadership skills and Biblical knowledge
Dr. Myrtle Johnson, the project coordinator, was excited about the success of the entire project. 95% of their students had perfect attendance and report cards showed better grades! Well done Evergreen U.C.C. children, parents and pastors. For more information about this project contact Dr. Myrtle Johnson at Evergreen U.C.C.