- We hold the coastal communities of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina in prayer as they recover from Hurricane Mitch. Circular Congregational Church reported that they did not hold worship on October 9 but the church was open and there was no visible damage. However, at that time, the evacuation order had not been lifted. The Conference Office has not been able to contact anyone from First Congregational Church in Savannah.
- Please hold those working in Disaster Response Ministries for the UCC in prayer. This has been a hard season and they are working diligently to respond to the needs of many from multiple events. Zach Wolgemuth from UCC Disaster Response Ministries contacted the office on Monday to check on any needs. If anyone knows of any, please contact the conference office.
We are continuing the process of praying for authorized ministers, congregations, and ministry groups throughout 2016. We encourage you to include these prayer requests in your local church newsletter, share them with your prayer circle, and include them in your own prayers. Click here to download the entire 2016 prayer list.
Week of October 16:
- Methodist Congregational Federated – Demorest, GA
- Jennifer Lee Crane
- Ruth Kershner
- Wayde Washburn
Week of October 23:
- Sankofa UCC – Atlanta, GA
- Stephanie Crumpton
- Andrew Kim
- Stanley Roat
- Lyle Weible
Week of October 30:
- Howard Congregational UCC – Nashville, TN
- Bryan Currie
- Sarah Kim
- Patricia Robbennolt
- J. Houston Wheeler
- The Southeast Conference Board of Directors has appointed an interim search committee who has begun its work with the assistance of Lee Albertson on the national UCC staff. The interim search committee is chaired by Rebecca Seldomridge, chair of the SEC personnel committee. Members are: Glenna Shepherd and Vanessa Robbs from Tennessee and Heith Battles from Alabama. Interviews for the Georgia representative are still ongoing.
- Congratulations to Rev. Julius ‘Chaka” Jessup Peterson who was ordained on October 2, 2016 at Wesley Teaching Chapel on the Emory Campus in Atlanta, Georgia. He was installed to a four-way covenant with Decatur UCC and Care and Counseling Center of Georgia (photo below).
- Congratulations to Church of the Savior in Alpharetta, Georgia who called Rev. Paul Hackett as their part-time settled pastor on September 25, 2016.
- Congratulations to Beloved Community Church in Birmingham, Alabama who called Jennifer Sanders as their part-time settled pastor on October 9, 2016. She began serving on October 10, 2016. Ms. Sanders will be seeking licensure.
- Congratulations to First United Church in Belvidere, Tennessee who called Jan Whiteman as their part-time settled pastor on October 9, 2016. She will begin serving on November 27, 2016. Ms. Whiteman will be seeking licensure.
Churches in Transition
Oak Grove Congregational Christian, Pine Mountain Georgia; Pilgrim Congregational UCC, Chattanooga Tennessee; Brookmeade Congregational UCC, Nashville Tennessee; Howard Congregational UCC, Nashville Tennessee; Beloved Community, Birmingham Alabama; Holy Trinity Community Church, Nashville Tennessee.