by Valerie Coe Lowder, Commission Chair
The Commission on Ministry is reorganizing in order to more effectively accomplish its work. As of Annual Meeting, the Commission on Ministry shall consist of:
- Two ex oficio members: the Conference Minister and the Conference Registrar
- a Chair and a Vice-Chair/Chair-elect
- Three At-Large members
- Preparation for Authorized Ministry team shall be responsible for: psychological evaluation review; support of Persons In Exploration and Members In Discernment; recommending candidates for ecclesiastical councils and interviews; administering scholarships; managing Privilege of Call and Commissioned Ministry requests.
- Support And Nurture of Ministries team shall be responsible for: Periodic Support Consultations for clergy; continuing education; boundary training; clergy support (including pastors and ministers in specialized settings); support for congregations; providing a process for Situational Support Consultations; hearing initial concerns and determining whether a Fitness Review should be initiated, and providing a process for Fitness Reviews.
- Ministerial Oversight And Standing team shall be responsible for: Annual Information Reviews; accountability of authorized ministers to the standards established by the Commission on Ministry (for Annual Information Reviews, continuing education, boundary training, Conference participation, etc.); dual standing requests; transfers of standing; licensure requests; endorsing professional chaplains and recommending endorsement of military/government chaplains.
Welcome transfers into SE Conference!
- Donna Farrar — She is Coordinator-Chaplaincy/Clinical Pastoral Education for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, and a member of Pilgrimage UCC in Marietta, GA.
- Sonya Gravlee — She is Chaplain to St. Vincent’s East Hospital in Birmingham, and a member of Beloved Community UCC in Birmingham, AL.
- Shelli Poe — She is Campus Minister to Millsaps College in Jackson, and a member of Safe Harbor Family UCC in Flowood, MS.
- Matthew Frierdich was approved as a Board Certified Chaplain by the Association of Professional Chaplains.
- Michelle Holtman was endorsed by COM/SE Conference as a Board Certified Chaplain.
- LaCretia Bellamy was ordained by Rehoboth Fellowship, and installed as Associate Pastor on May 8. On May 14 her endorsement as an Army Reserve Chaplain was recommended by the Commission on Ministry.
- Valerie Coe Lowder was installed as Director of Smoke Rise Baptist Weekday School, in covenant with SE Conference and Kirkwood UCC.
Upcoming COM Meeting Dates
- COM Orientation and team meetings – Date TBA in July, at SE Conference office
- COM meeting – September 17 at Pilgrim UCC, Chattanooga