We are continuing the process of praying for authorized ministers, congregations, and ministry groups throughout 2016. Each month, we will publish a weekly list for the month and post them weekly on our Facebook page. We encourage you to include these prayer requests in your local church newsletter, share them with your prayer circle, and include them in your own prayers.
Highlights for this month:
- Alice Kobayashi died January 22. She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Carol Kobayashi and Rev. Timothy Downs of Atlanta and son and daughter-in-law Richard and Susan Kobayashi of Belmont, MA. A memorial service will be held at the Julia Thompson Smith Chapel on the campus of Agnes Scott College on February 15th at 11:00 am; Rev. Timothy Downs and Rev. Susannah Davis officiating. Memorial donations can be made to Kirkwood United Church of Christ, Atlanta, GA (www.kirkwooducc.com). Online condolences can be made at www.asturner.com.
- Reverend Richard Lewis Lammers died at the age of 90 on February 2, 2016 at the Uplands Retirement Village in Pleasant Hill, Tennessee, where he had lived since retiring in 1990 from missionary work in Japan. Dick is survived by his wife of 66 years, Martha; children and their spouses — Don (Sally), of Golden, CO; Wayne (Cheryl), of Portland, OR; Ken (Shukuko), of Yokohama, Japan; and June (Dave) Lymburner, of Invermere, Canada; Grandchildren — Michael (Christina), Kei (Hiroaki), Yui, and Jamie, a great-grandson, Paxton. Dick’s celebration of life was held on Saturday, February 13. Memorial gifts may be given to the Uplands Retirement Village Cravath Endowment Fund, the Pleasant Hill Community Church Scholarship Fund, or Cumberland County Habitat for Humanity. Condolences may be sent to the family in care of Dick’s wife, Martha Lammers, P.O. Box 406, Pleasant Hill, TN 38578-0406.
- Raymonda Speller will be installed at Community Congregational UCC, Montgomery AL at 10:45 am on February 28, 2016.
- Bruce Schoup will be installed at Peace Congregational UCC, Clemson NC at 5:00 pm, February 28, 2016.
- Prayers for Roy and Evelyn Siewert on the recent death of their son-in-law.
- Prayers for Rev. Laurie Hill as she recovers from surgery. She is serving Fairfield Glade Community Church in Tennessee.
- Prayers for Rev. Bob Hurst, United Church of Huntsville as he recovers from surgery.
- Continued prayers for Rev. Michael McCaulley, Peace Church, Clemson South Carolina as he undergoes a bone marrow transplant at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
Churches in Transition:
Oak Grove Congregational Christian, Pine Mountain Georgia; Church of the Savior, Alpharetta Georgia; Pensacola UCC, Pensacola Florida; Pilgrim Congregational UCC, Chattanooga Tennessee; Brookmeade Congregational UCC, Nashville Tennessee; Howard Congregational UCC, Nashville Tennessee; Beloved Community, Birmingham Alabama; First United Church, Belvidere Tennessee.