JOB TITLE: Director of Music Ministries (Part-time)
- Location: Pleasant Hill Community Church United Church of Christ, Pleasant Hill, TN
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Start Date: September 2015
- Contact: Rev. Glenna Shepherd, Minister ([email protected])
Pleasant Hill Community Church – an Open and Affirming, Whole Earth, Just Peace, Global Mission congregation of the United Church of Christ – seeks a part-time Director of Music Ministries to lead our vibrant music program.
Pleasant Hill Community Church is located on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau, about an hour west of Knoxville, TN. The village of Pleasant Hill is also the site of Uplands Village, a UCC-affiliated continuing care retirement community.
This is a part-time, salaried position.
Salary range (for fifteen to twenty hours per week) is from $15,000 – $20,000, based on education, skills, and experience. Amount of vacation, health insurance stipend, and relocation reimbursement are negotiable.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS: The Director of Music Ministries works closely and collaboratively with the Senior Minister to develop, create, and sustain the music and worship programs of the church.
- Direct the Sanctuary Choir, including weekly rehearsals, rehearsals for special events, and Sunday morning worship.
- Encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic, and technical gifts of music ministry participants.
- Recruit and encourage new participants from the congregation and the larger community.
- Play for Sunday morning worship and for special services.
- Serve as a vital part of the Worship Team, including weekly planning sessions and long-range planning.
- With the Worship Team, plan, coordinate, and organize music for special occasions, such as Christmas, Holy Week and Easter, weddings, funerals and other special services.
- Work with the Senior Minister to plan and implement monthly Taizé services, weekly Thursday morning communion services, and other occasional alternative worship experiences.
SOLOS AND ENSEMBLES, INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL
- Recruit, schedule and rehearse with soloists and ensembles.
- Interface with the Uplands Community Ensemble and encourage their occasional participation in worship.
- Direct the adult Handbell Choir, including weekly rehearsals, rehearsals for special events, and monthly participation in Sunday morning worship.
- In consultation with the Senior Minister and the Worship Team, prepare and administer the annual music budget (salaries, choir and handbell music, music for worship, repairs and maintenance of instruments).
- Oversee maintenance of the music library, instruments, equipment, and supplies.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in music, Master’s preferred.
- Strong conducting skills.
- Excellent keyboard skills – piano and organ.
- Knowledge of and experience in sacred choral music.
- Experience in planning traditional and/or blended worship.
- Skills in motivating and inspiring music participants.
- A commitment to the progressive church, including an understanding of and commitment to the use of inclusive language and progressive/liberal theology.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Rev. Glenna Shepherd: [email protected].