“Living Our Faith in a Multi-Faith World”
October 5 – 7, 2015
Fifth Annual Retreat for Retired UCC Servants
Blowing Rock Conference Center, Blowing Rock, North Carolina
All retired UCC clergy, missionaries, volunteer workers and spouses are invited to attend the Fifth Annual Retired UCC Servants Retreat that will be held Monday dinner through Wednesday morning on October 5-7, 2015. This event is being planned for Retired UCC Servants of the Southeast and Southern Conferences of the UCC. It is being held at Blowing Rock Conference Center in Blowing Rock, NC amid the beauty of fall coming to the NC mountains!
The theme for this year’s event is “Living Our Faith in a Multi-Faith World.”
Monday night’s program will be led by UCC Volunteer Coordinator, Rev. Mary Schaller Blaufuss, who serves as Team Leader, Global Sharing of Resources, National UCC Staff in Cleveland.
Dr. Jan Fuller, Chaplain at Elon University, will be our speaker and lead our discussion about Islam for our Tuesday sessions. Chaplain Jan Fuller grew up in Beirut, Lebanon where, by the time she was 22, she had lived through four Middle Eastern wars and had become an expert in artillery. She is bilingual in Arabic and English. Jan knows that respect between religions is necessary to the survival of the human race. As a young adult, she engaged in a long search for a spiritual home, and eventually settled in the Episcopal Church. Along the way she found many things to appreciate in lots of different spiritual communities. Jan is a certified trainer for Crucial Conversations, a way of using conflict to enhance conversation.
Wednesday morning will feature our conference ministers, Rev. June Boutwell and Dr. Edward Davis, who will share with us in a question and answer format about our conferences and General Synod 2015, and then closing communion.
The costs for this year’s retreat from Blowing Rock Conference Center are:
- Meals: $49.75 for Monday dinner – Wednesday breakfast per person
- Lodging: $50.00 per room for one night, $25.00 each additional night. [You may come prior to the event and stay after the event for the same room rates.]
- Conference/Facility Fee: $7.00 per person
Reservations should be made through Blowing Rock Conference Center.
Blowing Rock Conference Center
We hope you will be able to join us for this time of fellowship, learning and spiritual renewal.
2015 Planning Team
UCC from Southeast Conference Area:
- Mary Ruth, Pleasant Hill, TN, retired Volunteer Ministry Worker, email@example.com
- Rev. Joyce Myers-Brown, Atlanta, GA, retired Missionary, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rev. George & Martha Bennett, Valdosta, GA, retired Clergy & spouse, email@example.com
UCC from Southern Conference Area:
- 2015 Coordinator Rev. Jamie Fonville, Burlington, NC, retired Clergy, JamieFonville@gmail.com 336-971-7214
- Carol Fonville, Burlington, NC, spouse of retired Clergy, church musician, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rev. David Crook, Winston-Salem, NC, retired Clergy, email@example.com
- Rev. Tom & Jane Hamilton, Newton, NC, retired Clergy and spouse, firstname.lastname@example.org